Disaster Aid for Insured Property Owners

Main Content
Release date: 
June 18, 2011
Release Number: 

COLUMBIA, Mo. -- Are you a Missouri survivor of the recent severe storms, flooding and tornadoes? Have you received recently a letter from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) stating you are ineligible because you have insurance? Don't worry, help still may be available.

"By law, we cannot duplicate what insurance already covers," explained Libby Turner, FEMA's federal coordinating officer. "But in some cases, if insurance did not cover all your losses, we may be able to help, within our program limitations. So please contact us after you get your settlement and be ready to provide necessary settlement information."

Survivors who get such a letter and have additional disaster-related needs beyond what their insurance has covered should consider calling FEMA back. To call FEMA's toll-free Helpline, dial 1-800-621-3362. If you have a speech disability or hearing loss and use a TTY, call 1-800-462-7585 directly. If you use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362. Multi-language assistance is available.

For example, expenses for renting a hotel room while a home is inaccessible or uninhabitable and not covered by insurance may be allowable disaster assistance. Uninsurable items such as wells, septic tanks and access to your home may qualify for eligibility.

When insured applicants reapply, they will be asked to submit proof of their insurance settlement.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

FEMA's temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). Those with a speech disability or hearing loss, who use a TTY, should call 800-462-7585; or use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS) to call 800-621-3362.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top