FEMA Mitigation Specialists Offer Advice in West Plains

Main Content
Release date: 
June 15, 2011
Release Number: 

COLUMBIA, Mo. -- Federal Emergency Management Agency mitigation experts will offer free rebuilding information and answer questions about how to strengthen property against future storm and flood damage in West Plains at the Old Time Music Ozark Heritage Festival June 17 - June 18, 2011.

Mitigation advisors will be on hand at the FEMA information booth from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Friday and 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Saturday. They will give suggestions to help home and business owners protect property against wind and flooding.

A Congressionally mandated study in 2005 National Institute of Building Sciences showed that every dollar spent on mitigation saves society an average of four dollars in future losses due to disasters.

Mitigation advisors can provide valuable information about mold and mildew cleanup, electrical systems, furnaces and other appliances. There is also expert advice about how to reinforce structures against high wind and flooding. Information on flood insurance and free publications on a variety of rebuilding and safety topics will also be available both in English and Spanish.

To download information and materials on a variety of topics about strengthening property, got to www.fema.gov/rebuild/.

For more information about this season's disasters in Missouri, go to www.fema.gov/news/event.fema?id=14395.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). If you have a speech disability or hearing loss and use a TTY, call 1-800-462-7585 directly; if you use 711 or video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top