Main Content

Survivors Who Have Been Forced To Relocate Need To Register For Disaster Assistance

Release date: 
May 28, 2011
Release Number: 

CLINTON, Miss. -- Many survivors of recent floods, tornadoes and storms have been forced to relocate and are now living in counties that were not included in the federal disaster declarations.? But they still need to register for assistance at one of Mississippi's Disaster Recovery Centers or on FEMA's Helpline.

Survivors can register with FEMA by calling 800-621-FEMA (3362) or online at Help is available in most languages. Those with speech or hearing impairment can call (TTY) 800-462-7585.

A locator for the centers can be found at .

Emergency management experts from the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency, Federal Emergency Management Agency, U.S. Small Business Administration and other agencies staff the centers to explain disaster assistance programs. Survivors should register by phone or online before visiting a center.

Persons affected by the floods, tornadoes and storms also can apply for federal assistance through a web-enabled mobile device or smartphone. Visit and follow the link to apply online for federal assistance and other recovery help.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: