Main Content

Disaster Recovery Center to Return to Bladen County

Main Content
Release date: 
May 26, 2011
Release Number: 

RALEIGH, N.C. – A Disaster Recovery Center will return to Bladen County for three additional days beginning Tuesday, May 31.

The center will be open noon to 7 p.m. on Tuesday, May 31, and from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday, June 1, and Thursday, June 2. 

Bladen County

Powell Melvin Ag Building

450 Smith Circle

Elizabethtown, NC 28337

“We are returning to Bladen County for three days to make sure everyone has one more opportunity to get in-person help with disaster assistance,” said Michael Bolch, federal coordinating officer for the North Carolina disaster recovery.

Representatives from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, North Carolina Emergency Management, the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) and other agencies will be available to explain assistance programs. They can help tornado survivors who suffered damage and loss from the April 16 tornado apply for disaster aid from FEMA, NCEM, SBA and other programs that may be able to help.

“This is a good time to take your SBA disaster loan application directly to an SBA representative who can help you fill it out,” said Doug Hoell, NCEM director.  “If you registered with FEMA and got a loan application package in the mail, you need to submit it to be considered for some types of state and federal assistance.”

The deadline to apply for disaster assistance and return SBA loan applications is June 20.

After the center closes, disaster survivors can still call 800-621-FEMA (3362) to register for disaster assistance, check application status and update contact or insurance company information. A Federal Emergency Management Agency representative is available at the toll-free number from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week. Help is available in most languages. People who are deaf or hard of hearing may call TTY 800-462-7585.

Applicants can also register online at or with a web-enabled mobile device or smartphone. Visit and follow the link to “apply online for federal assistance.”

Federal and state disaster assistance can include grants for rental assistance and home repairs, low-interest loans from the Small Business Administration to cover uninsured property losses, and other programs to help recover from the effects of the disaster.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top