Register With FEMA Today!

Main Content
Release date: 
May 25, 2011
Release Number: 

FRANKFORT, Ky. -- Have you called FEMA?

Officials from the Kentucky Division of Emergency Management (KYEM), the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and other agencies and volunteer organizations are actively working to help disaster survivors recover from the severe storms, tornadoes and flooding from April 22 to May 20.

But FEMA can’t help you if you don’t register with them first.

Even if you reported damage to your local emergency manager, or contacted the Red Cross or other voluntary agencies, you haven’t registered for federal disaster assistance. And you don’t need to have completed an insurance inspection to start the federal aid process.

Individuals can register by phone by calling 800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY 800-462-7585 for those who are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired. You can also register online at or on a smartphone at Registering with FEMA will take about 20 minutes.

Federal assistance may include grants for rental assistance and home repairs, and low interest loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration to cover uninsured property losses.

Until you register with FEMA, you cannot receive federal assistance to help you recover. Call FEMA today.

FEMA's housing assistance and Other Needs Assistance grants for medical, dental, and funeral expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be considered for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.  Applicants who do not qualify for a SBA loan may be eligible to receive Other Needs Assistance grants for these items.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top