Disaster Recovery Centers in Three Counties to Close, But Assistance Is Still Available

Main Content
Release date: 
May 24, 2011
Release Number: 

CLINTON, Miss -- Disaster Recovery Centers in Chickasaw, DeSoto and Tishomingo Counties will close at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, May 25th, but flood, tornado and storm survivors can continue to register for assistance at other centers in Mississippi or on FEMA's toll-free line at 800-621-FEMA (3362).

A locator for the centers can be found at www.fema.gov/drclocator.

The centers will be operating from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. until the Wednesday evening closure. Their locations are as follows:

Chickasaw County -- Houston Civic Center, 635 Starkville Rd., in Houston.
DeSoto County -- DeSoto Tourists & Visitors Center, 4716 Pepper Chase Dr., in Southaven.
Tishomingo County -- Blue Springs Lodge, 1 Summer St., in Belmont.

Emergency management experts from the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency, Federal Emergency Management Agency, U.S. Small Business Administration and other agencies staff the centers to explain disaster assistance programs. Before visiting a center, eligible people with storm-related losses should register with FEMA by calling 800-621-FEMA (3362) or online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov. Help is available in most languages. Those with speech or hearing impairment can call (TTY) 800-462-7585.

Persons affected by the storms and tornadoes also can apply for federal assistance through a web-enabled mobile device or smartphone. Visit m.fema.gov and follow the link to apply online for federal assistance and other recovery help.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.

FEMA's temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top