Main Content

Disaster Recovery Center to Serve Lee County

Release date: 
May 24, 2011
Release Number: 

 RALEIGH, N.C. – A Disaster Recovery Center will return to Lee County for three additional days beginning Friday, May 27.

The center will be open from noon to 7 p.m. on Friday, May 27, and 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturday, May 28, and Sunday, May 29.

 McSwain Agricultural Center

2420 Tramway Road

Sanford, NC 27332

 “We are bringing our recovery specialists back to Lee County for three days to make sure everyone in the area has one more opportunity to get in-person help with the disaster assistance process,” said Michael Bolch, federal coordinating officer for the North Carolina disaster recovery.

 Representatives from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, North Carolina Emergency Management, the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) and other agencies will be available to explain assistance programs. They can help tornado survivors who suffered damage and loss from the April 16 tornado apply for disaster aid from FEMA, NCEM, SBA and other programs that may be able to help.

 “This is a good time to take your SBA disaster loan application directly to an SBA representative who can help you fill it out,” said Doug Hoell, NCEM director.  “If you registered with FEMA and got a loan application package in the mail, you need to submit it to be considered for some types of state and federal assistance.”

 After the center closes, disaster survivors can still call 800-621-FEMA (3362) to register for disaster assistance, check application status and update contact or insurance company information. A Federal Emergency Management Agency representative is available at the toll-free number from 7 a.m. to
10 p.m. seven days a week. Help is available in most languages. People who are deaf or hard of hearing may call TTY 800-462-7585.

Applicants can also register online at or with a web-enabled mobile device or smartphone. Visit and follow the link to “apply online for federal assistance.”

Federal and state disaster assistance can include grants for rental assistance and home repairs, low-interest loans from the Small Business Administration to cover uninsured property losses, and other programs to help recover from the effects of the disaster.

For more information about this disaster, go to and click on the red “April Tornadoes” tab. More information is also available at

FEMA's housing assistance and Other Needs Assistance grants for medical, dental, and funeral expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be considered for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.  Applicants who do not qualify for a SBA loan may be eligible to receive Other Needs Assistance grants for these items.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: