Main Content

Kentuckians Urged To Register For Federal Disaster Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
May 20, 2011
Release Number: 

FRANKFORT, Ky.  — Homeowners, renters and businesses in eleven Kentucky counties who suffered damages in the severe storms, tornadoes and flooding on April 22, 2011 and continuing can now begin the process of applying for federal and Commonwealth disaster assistance by phone or online. Federal assistance is available to affected individuals in Boyd, Crittenden, Graves, Hardin, Hickman, Jefferson, Marshall, McCracken, Livingston, Union and Webster counties.

To apply by phone, the number is toll-free 800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY 800-462-7585 for callers with speech or hearing impairments. To register online, go to, or via smartphone at The toll-free numbers are available seven days a week, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., until further notice.

“I am grateful that the federal government has recognized the need for this assistance,” said Gov. Beshear. “My administration will continue to work hard to ensure that all Kentuckians impacted by the recent floods get the help they need.”

“Flood survivors don’t have to wait for an insurance inspection to begin the registration process; they should apply as soon as possible,” said Federal Coordinating Officer Steve Ward. “We will begin immediately working with people who have losses and we will continue to coordinate with the Commonwealth to expedite recovery efforts.”

Whether you go online or talk with a teleregistration representative from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, have the following information ready:

• Name and Social Security number
• Address of the damaged property
• Current address and telephone number
• Insurance information
• Total household annual income
• Bank account information for direct deposit
• Description of your damages

FEMA’s Individual Assistance program can help eligible applicants with temporary housing assistance, uninsured personal property losses and medical, dental, and funeral expenses caused by the disaster, along with other disaster-related expenses and serious needs. Low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration also will be available to cover residential and business losses not covered by insurance.

Joint damage assessments continue in other counties and additional counties may be added for IA. Residents that suffered storm and flood related damage are encouraged to document and photo the damage and keep any repair receipts. Please report any damage to you local emergency management.


Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top