Disaster Recovery Center to Open In Pitt County

Main Content
Release date: 
May 9, 2011
Release Number: 

RALEIGH, N.C. -- A disaster recovery center will open Tuesday, May 10, in Pitt County at the Farmville Community Center to help those whose homes or businesses were affected by the
April 16 storms and tornadoes.

The Pitt County center will be open 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. The center will close at noon on Saturday, May 14.

Farmville Community Center – Club Room 2
3886 S. Main St.
Farmville, NC 27829

Recovery centers are also open in Bertie, Bladen, Cumberland, Greene, Harnett, Johnston, Lee, Robeson, Sampson and Wake counties. Survivors can register at any of the recovery centers and can find the closest facility by using the online disaster recovery center locator at http://go.usa.gov/CDc.

Representatives from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, North Carolina Division of Emergency Management and other agencies are available to explain assistance programs and help survivors apply for disaster aid. Recovery specialists also help disaster survivors get in touch with other programs that may be able to help.

Before going to a center, people with storm losses should register with FEMA online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov or by calling 800-621-FEMA (3362). Those with speech or hearing disabilities may call (TTY) 800-462-7585. Help is available in most languages.

Persons affected by the storms can also apply for federal assistance directly through a web-enabled mobile device or smartphone. Visit m.fema.gov and follow the link to “apply online for federal assistance.”

Federal and state disaster assistance can include grants for rental assistance and home repairs, low-interest loans from the Small Business Administration to cover uninsured property losses, and other programs to help recover from the effects of the disaster.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status.  If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.

FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top