Disaster Recovery Center To Close In Halifax County

Main Content
Release date: 
May 5, 2011
Release Number: 

RALEIGH, N.C. – Halifax County’s disaster recovery center will close at noon Saturday, May 7.

Those whose homes or businesses were affected by recent storms and tornadoes can continue to get
in-person help from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday and Friday. After Saturday, disaster survivors can still call 800-621-FEMA (3362) or register online at www.disasterassistance.gov.

The center is located at the T.J. Davis Rec Center, 400 East 6th St., Roanoke Rapids.

Representatives from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, North Carolina Division of Emergency Management and other agencies are available to explain assistance programs and help survivors apply for disaster aid. Recovery specialists also help disaster survivors get in touch with other programs that may be able to help.

Before going to a center, people with storm losses should register with FEMA. Those with speech or hearing impairment may call (TTY) 800-462-7585. Help is available in most languages.

Persons affected by the storms can also apply for federal assistance directly through a web-enabled mobile device or smartphone. Visit m.fema.gov and follow the link to “apply online for federal assistance.”

Federal and state disaster assistance can include grants for rental assistance and home repairs, low-interest loans from the Small Business Administration to cover uninsured property losses, and other programs to help recover from the effects of the disaster.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status.  If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.

FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top