FEMA Inspectors Assessing Damaged Residences in Georgia

Main Content
Release date: 
May 4, 2011
Release Number: 

ATLANTA, Ga. -- Inspectors from the Federal Emergency Management Agency are contacting disaster applicants whose primary home or rental residence sustained losses from the April 27-28 storms and tornadoes. Legitimate FEMA inspectors won't ask for personal information, such as a Social Security number, or request payment at the time of the inspection.

Inspectors are private contractors who wear official FEMA identification. When inspectors call, they will confirm registration details, including Social Security numbers. But authorized inspectors will not ask for these details and usually do not approach an applicant without prior contact.

The U.S. Small Business Administration and various insurance companies also have inspectors in the field.

Renters, homeowners and business owners who have incurred losses from the disaster in 20 Georgia counties can apply for assistance. Those counties are Bartow, Catoosa, Coweta, Dade, Floyd, Gordon, Greene, Harris, Heard, Lamar, Lumpkin, Meriwether, Monroe, Morgan, Pickens, Polk, Rabun, Spalding, Troup and Walker.

Here Is What To Expect:

Inspector's Call: When you register – either online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov or by calling
800-621-3362 (TTY 800-462-7585) – you will receive a 9-digit application number. An inspector will then call to schedule an appointment to visit the damaged property – generally no longer than 10 days after registration.

Inspector's Visit: Keep the scheduled appointment to make sure the assistance process moves quickly.

Inspectors assess disaster-related property damage. Inspectors file damage reports, but they do not determine eligibility.

The inspector's visit typically takes 15 minutes to as long as 45 minutes.

You – or your representative who is 18 or older and lived in the household prior to the disaster – must be present for the scheduled appointment. The inspector will ask for identification and proof of ownership and occupancy (for homeowners) and occupancy only (for renters). You can speed up the process by having the appropriate documents on hand:

  • A photo ID to prove identity, such as driver's license or passport;  
  • Proof of occupancy, which may include:
    • A utility bill from with the address of the damaged home and the applicant's name listed or a merchant's statement, credit card bills, delivery notices or other first class mail addressed to the applicant and showing the address of the damaged home;
    • Pay stubs and similar documents addressed to the applicant and showing the address of the damaged home; or,
    • Current driver's license showing the address of the damaged home.
  • Proof of ownership, such as:
    • Deed showing you as the legal owner;
    • Title that lists you on actual escrow or title document for the purchase of the home;
    • Mortgage payment book that names you along with the address of the damaged home;
    • Real property insurance policy for the damaged home with your name listed as the insured; or,
    • Tax receipts or a property tax bill that lists the address of the damaged home and you as the responsible party to the assessments.

After the Inspector's Visit: You will receive a letter from FEMA containing a decision within 10 days of the inspector's visit. If you have any questions about the letter, call the helpline number – 800-621-3362 (TTY 800-462-7585).

If you are eligible for assistance, the letter will be followed by a check or an electronic funds transfer. The letter explains how the money can be ...

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top