Main Content

FEMA Awards Seattle over $1 Million for Jefferson Community Center Seismic Retrofits

Main Content
Release date: 
May 2, 2011
Release Number: 

SEATTLE, Wash. -- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has obligated $1,028,938 in Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funding to Washington State and the City of Seattle for seismic retrofitting of the Jefferson Community Center on Seattle’s Beacon Hill.  The Center was built in 1929, and according to FEMA Regional Administrator Ken Murphy, this project will upgrade the building to current seismic code.

"The Jefferson Community Center houses daycare, after-school arts and crafts, sports activities and both teen and adult programs, day and night," said Murphy.  "This seismic retrofit includes wall anchors, continuity strapping, steel strong-backs for masonry walls, roof and shear wall reinforcement and a new foundation."

The HMGP provides funding for cost-effective projects designed to prevent damage and injuries in future disasters.  FEMA is contributing 75 percent of the $1,371,918 total project cost, with the Washington Emergency Management Division, which administers the program in Washington State, and the City of Seattle Parks Department  splitting the remaining 25 percent non-Federal share.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 19, 2012 - 23:02
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top