FEMA Awards $544,367 Grant to Vigo County

Main Content
Release date: 
April 20, 2011
Release Number: 
R5-11-024

CHICAGO – The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) today released $544,367 in Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds for the acquisition of up to eight homes and adjacent vacant lots in Vigo County, Ind.

“The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program enables communities to implement critical mitigation measures to reduce the risk of loss of life and property,” said Andrew Velasquez III, regional administrator, FEMA Region V. “The acquisition of these homes and properties permanently removes the structures from the floodplain and greatly reduces the financial impact on individuals and the community when future flooding occurs in this area.”

The homes, which have repeatedly sustained serious damage from floods, are located within the floodplains of Otter Creek and Little Lost Creek. Once acquired, they will be removed from the risk of flooding and a permanent open space will be created in this area.

“The purchase of flood-prone properties is one of the most cost effective flood management tools,” said Indiana Department of Homeland Security (IDHS) Executive Director Joseph Wainscott. “The goal is to have the properties removed from continued harm and provide an opportunity for them to become community assets.” HMGP provides grants to state and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures.

Through HMGP, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the $725,823 project. The remaining 25 percent of the funds, $181,456, will be provided by Vigo County and a Community Development Block Grant.

The funds will be available once a final agreement is signed between Vigo County and IDHS, which administers the mitigation program.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

###

Follow FEMA online at twitter.com/fema, twitter.com/femaregion5, www.facebook.com/fema, and www.youtube.com/fema. Also, follow Administrator Craig Fugate's activities at twitter.com/craigatfema. The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

Last Updated: 
July 19, 2012 - 23:02
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top