FEMA Awards $151,000 Grant to City of Elbow Lake

Main Content
Release date: 
April 14, 2011
Release Number: 
R5-11-021

CHICAGO – The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has released $151,526 in Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds to the city of Elbow Lake, Minn., for the construction of a safe room at Tipsinah Mounds Campground.

“The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program enables communities to implement critical mitigation measures to reduce or eliminate the risk of loss of life and property,” said Andrew Velasquez III, regional administrator, FEMA Region V. “Currently Tipsinah Mounds does not have a safe room to protect visitors during adverse weather conditions. Once completed, the safe room will provide protection to those people using the campground when severe weather strikes.”

HMGP provides grants to state and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures. Through HMGP, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the $202,035 project cost. The remaining 25 percent of the funds, $50,509, will be provided by the city of Elbow Lake.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

###

Follow FEMA online at twitter.com/fema, twitter.com/femaregion5, www.facebook.com/fema, and www.youtube.com/fema. Also, follow Administrator Craig Fugate's activities at twitter.com/craigatfema. The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

Last Updated: 
July 19, 2012 - 23:02
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top