FEMA Awards $1.3 Million Grant to Howard County

Main Content
Release date: 
March 9, 2011
Release Number: 
RD-11-017

CHICAGO – The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) today released $1,341,435 in Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds to for the acquisition of up to 10 homes along Wildcat Creek in Howard County, Ind.

These homes are within the floodplain of Wildcat Creek, which has repeatedly sustained serious damage from floods. The acquisition of the properties will permanently remove them from the risk of flooding and will create permanent open space in this area.

“The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program enables communities to implement critical mitigation measures to reduce the risk of loss of life and property,” said Andrew Velasquez III, regional administrator, FEMA Region V. “The acquisition of these homes and properties permanently removes the structures from this floodplain and greatly reduces the financial impact on individuals and the community when future flooding occurs in this area.”

HMGP provides grants to state and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures. Through HMGP, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the $1,788,581 project. The remaining 25 percent of the funds, $447,146, will be provided by Howard County and a Community Development Block Grant. The funds will be available once a final agreement is signed between Howard County and the Indiana Department of Homeland Security (IDHS), who administers the mitigation program.

“Indiana continues to recover from the long-term effects of the 2008 flooding. This assistance is a key step in the recovery process for those residents whose homes were damaged or destroyed,” said IDHS Executive Director Joseph Wainscott. “The partnership and teamwork among Howard County, IDHS and FEMA has helped provide this much needed relief.”

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

###

Follow FEMA online at twitter.com/fema, twitter.com/femaregion5, www.facebook.com/fema, and www.youtube.com/fema. Also, follow Administrator Craig Fugate's activities at twitter.com/craigatfema. The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

Last Updated: 
July 19, 2012 - 23:02
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top