FEMA Awards $1.2 Million Grant to Morgan County

Main Content
Release date: 
March 9, 2011
Release Number: 
R5-11-016

CHICAGO – The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) today released $1,298,243 in Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds to for the acquisition of 19 homes and eight adjacent properties in Morgan County, Ind., that are susceptible to annual flooding from the White River.

These homes are within the floodplain of the White River and have repeatedly sustained serious damage from floods. The acquisition of the properties will create permanent open space in this area, reducing the damage that flooding could cause on the community.

“The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program benefits residents and communities affected by disasters,” said Andrew Velasquez III, regional administrator, FEMA Region V. “This project will eliminate future structural losses in Morgan County and lessen the financial impact on individuals and governments following a disaster.”

HMGP provides grants to state and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures. Through HMGP, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the $1,730,990 project. The remaining 25 percent of the funds, $432,747, will be provided by Morgan County and a Community Development Block Grant. The funds will be available once a final agreement is signed between Morgan County and the Indiana Department of Homeland Security (IDHS), who administers the mitigation program.

“Indiana continues to recover from the long-term effects of the 2008 flooding. This assistance is a key step in the recovery process for those residents whose homes were damaged or destroyed,” said IDHS Executive Director Joseph Wainscott. “The partnership and teamwork among Morgan County, IDHS and FEMA helped provide this much needed relief.”

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

###

Follow FEMA online at twitter.com/fema, twitter.com/femaregion5, www.facebook.com/fema, and www.youtube.com/fema. Also, follow Administrator Craig Fugate's activities at twitter.com/craigatfema. The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

Last Updated: 
July 19, 2012 - 23:02
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top