CHICAGO – The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) today released $443,276 in Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds for structural enhancements of a proposed Pre-Kindergarten through 8th grade school in the Marion Community Unit School District No. 2, near the community of Creal Springs.
The project will include seismic upgrades to various building components, the addition of an emergency generator, and the construction of a safe room and a reinforced concrete shelter for the generator. With the addition of a safe room, the school can become a safe haven for the surrounding community to use should severe weather strike. These improvements will help ensure that school facilities will be available after a disaster to serve as a shelter, a triage location, or a point of entry into the community for emergency personnel.
“The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program enables communities to implement critical mitigation measures to reduce or eliminate the risk of loss of life and property,” said Andrew Velasquez III, regional administrator, FEMA Region V. “This project will not only structurally reinforce the new school, but it will also provide for the safety and protection of children and school personnel.”
HMGP provides grants to state and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures. Through HMGP, FEMA will pay 75 percent of this $591,034 project. The remaining 25 percent of the funds, $147,758, will be provided by Marion Community Unit School District No. 2.
FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.
Follow FEMA online at twitter.com/fema, twitter.com/femaregion5, www.facebook.com/fema, and www.youtube.com/fema. Also, follow Administrator Craig Fugate's activities at twitter.com/craigatfema. The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.