Main Content

Four Municipalities Added to PR Disaster Declaration for Tropical Storm Otto Damages

Main Content
Release date: 
December 3, 2010
Release Number: 

SAN JUAN, PR -- Federal officials announced today that the municipalities of Cayey, Ciales, Corozal and San Lorenzo in the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico have been added to the list of designated municipalities under the presidential disaster declaration of October 26, 2010. The federal disaster declaration was granted due to the rains, flooding, mudslides, and landslides caused by Tropical Storm Otto in Puerto Rico on October 4-8, 2010.

Accordingly, these newly designated municipalities are eligible to apply for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Public Assistance (Infrastructure) and Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds. The grants are for eligible state and municipal governments and certain private non-profit organizations on a federal cost-sharing basis covering 75 percent of eligible costs; state government contributes the remaining 25 percent.

On December 7, 2010, the Governor’s Authorized Representative, along with FEMA, will hold an Applicants’ Briefing meeting for eligible applicants to provide them with detailed information of the Public (Infrastructure) Assistance grants program procedures.  The meeting will take place at the Puerto Rico Office of Management and Budget.

FEMA’s Public Assistance grants reimburse eligible cost of emergency protective measures, debris removal, repair, restoration, reconstruction or replacement of disaster damaged public infrastructure, such as roads and bridges, water control facilities, public buildings and contents, public utilities and parks, and other recreational facilities.

There are now twenty-five (25) disaster designated municipalities, including Adjuntas, Aibonito, Añasco, Cayey, Ciales, Corozal, Guánica, Guayama, Jayuya, Lares, Las Marías, Maricao, Mayagüez, Morovis, Orocovis, Patillas, Ponce, Sabana Grande, Salinas, San Germán, San Lorenzo, Utuado, Villalba, Yabucoa, and Yauco.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top