FEMA Awards $2.7 Million Grant To The City Of Fairfield

Main Content
Release date: 
November 22, 2010
Release Number: 

CHICAGO, Ill. -- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has released $2,716,589 in Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds to the city of Fairfield, Ohio, for the acquisition and removal of 17 structures.

HMGP provides grants to state and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures.  Through HMGP, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the $3.6 million project.  The remaining 25 percent of the funds, $905,530, will be provided by a non-federal source. 

“Mitigation projects such as these benefit residents and communities affected by disasters,” said Andrew Velasquez III, regional administrator, FEMA Region V. “These acquisitions in Fairfield will reduce future structural losses and lessen the financial impact on individuals and governments following a disaster.”

HMGP funds will be used to remove these homes from flood prone areas, returning the area to open space in perpetuity.  HMGP projects like this are the cornerstone of disaster prevention efforts, and illustrate the importance of local, state and federal government working together for the benefit of citizens.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 19, 2012 - 23:02
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top