Deadline To File Request for Public Assistance Funds Approaches

Main Content
Release date: 
November 22, 2010
Release Number: 
1946-008

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico – Commonwealth and Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) officials announced today that public agencies and certain private non-profit organizations needing funds to rebuild infrastructure damaged or destroyed by Tropical Storm Otto, must submit their request to the Office of the Governor’s Authorized Representative (GAR) no later than November 25, 2010. 

Under the presidential disaster declaration of October 26, 2010, the municipalities of Adjuntas, Aibonito, Añasco, Guánica, Guayama, Jayuya, Lares, Las Marías, Maricao, Mayagüez, Morovis, Orocovis, Patillas, Ponce, Sabana Grande, Salinas, San Germán, Utuado, Villalba, Yabucoa, and Yauco were made eligible for federal disaster funds.  

FEMA’s Public Assistance (Infrastructure) program reimburses state and municipal governments the cost of eligible emergency protective measures, debris removal, and can fund the repair, restoration, reconstruction or replacement of public infrastructure such as roads and bridges, water control facilities, public buildings and contents, public utilities and parks, and other recreational facilities damaged during a disaster. Some non-profit organizations may qualify for aid to restore certain types of facilities that include educational, utility, emergency, medical, custodial care, and other facilities that provide essential government types of services. FEMA funds up to 75 percent of approved projects and the Commonwealth contributes the remaining 25 percent.

The Request for Public Assistance (RPA) forms can be obtained through the Office of the GAR at the Puerto Rico Office of Management and Budget; those eligible are encouraged to apply promptly.

The GAR and FEMA have received 28 RPAs from state and local governments, but as of today no private non-profits organizations have applied for assistance.  

While governments prepare for disasters, FEMA encourages individuals, families and businesses to be proactive and get ready for any hazards in their communities; have an emergency kit and plan, and get flood insurance, whether your home is located in a flood prone area or not.  Additional emergency preparedness information is available at www.ready.gov.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: