DOWNERS GROVE, Ill. — More than $292.3 million has been approved in disaster assistance grants for Illinois residents recovering from the severe storms and flooding of July 19 - Aug. 7. The deadline for new applications is Nov. 17.
According to the Illinois Emergency Management Agency (IEMA) and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), 134,785 Illinois residents have applied for assistance as of the close of business Oct. 28. Also, $292,368.985 has been approved in disaster grants under the Individuals and Households Program (IHP). Of this amount:
- $242,123,590 has been approved in grants for temporary housing, home repairs and replacement of essential household items not covered by insurance;
- $50,245,395 has been approved in Other Needs Assistance (ONA) to repair or replace damaged personal property and pay for other serious, disaster-related expenses. FEMA pays 75 percent of ONA; the state pays 25 percent.
- 129,508 damage inspections have been completed; 128 inspectors remain in the field.
Below are county figures for applications, Housing Assistance (HA) and Other Needs Assistance (ONA). (Note: Not all applicants are eligible for assistance.)
- Carroll County: 182 applicants; $847,208 total (HA $785,812; ONA $61,396)
- Cook County: 128,994 applicants; $280,168,052 total (HA $230,944,248; ONA $49,223,804)
- DuPage County: 2,878 applicants; $6,579,665 total (HA $6,143,241; ONA $436,424)
- Jo Daviess County: 159 applicants; $358,696 total (HA $348,774; ONA $9,922)
- Ogle County: 102 applicants; $283,784 total (HA $249,986; ONA $33,798)
- Stephenson: 1,680 applicants; $3,800,354 total (HA $3,351,949; ONA $448,405)
- Winnebago: 232 applicants; $331,225 total (HA $299,578; ONA $31,647)
The SBA has approved $42,337,000 in low-interest disaster loans for homeowners, renters, and businesses and nonprofit organizations of all sizes. SBA has distributed 88,058 applications, with 10,467 returned to SBA.
To date, 18,770 individuals have visited the Disaster Recovery Centers established in Cicero, Westchester and the Austin area of Chicago to provide in-person help in the disaster area.
Residents must apply directly with FEMA to get federal help. Apply online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov or call toll-free 1-800-621-3362 (TTY 1-800-462-7585). Operators are available from 7 a.m. - 10 p.m. (EDT) daily until further notice. Multilingual help is available.
Disaster recovery assistance is available to homeowners, renters, businesses, and private nonprofit organizations in Carroll, Cook, DuPage, Jo Daviess, Ogle, Stephenson, and Winnebago counties.
SBA disaster loan information may be obtained by calling the SBA’s Customer Service Center at 1-800-659-2955 (TTY 1-800-877-8339) Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. or by e-mailing to email@example.com. Apply online at SBA’s secure website at https://disasterloan.sba.gov/ela/. For more information about the SBA disaster loan program, visit the SBA website at www.sba.gov.
FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we wo...