FEMA Awards $1 Million Grant To Town Of Spencer

Main Content
Release date: 
October 20, 2010
Release Number: 
R5-10-038

CHICAGO -- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) today released $1,061,132 in Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds to the town of Spencer, Ind., for the acquisition of 17 homes susceptible to annual flooding.

“Mitigation projects such as these benefit residents and communities affected by disasters,” said Andrew Velasquez, regional administrator, FEMA Region V. “The acquisitions in the town of Spencer will reduce future structural losses and lessen the financial impact on individuals and governments following a disaster.”

HMGP provides grants to state and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures.  Through HMGP, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the $1.4 million project.  The remaining 25 percent of the funds, $353,710, will be provided through a combination of funds from the Community Development Block Grant and the town of Spencer. The funds will be available once a final agreement is signed between Spencer and the Indiana Department of Homeland Security (IDHS), who administers the mitigation program.

“Indiana continues to recover from the long-term effects of the 2008 flooding. This assistance is a key step in the recovery process for those residents whose homes were damaged or destroyed,” said IDHS Executive Director Joseph Wainscott. “The partnership and teamwork among Spencer, IDHS and FEMA helped provide this much needed relief.”

HMGP funds will be used to remove these homes from flood prone areas, returning the area to open space in perpetuity.  HMGP projects like this are the cornerstone of disaster prevention efforts, and illustrate the importance of local, state and federal government working together for the benefit of citizens.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Follow FEMA online at twitter.com/fema, www.facebook.com/fema, and www.youtube.com/fema.  Also, follow Administrator Craig Fugate's activities at twitter.com/craigatfema.  The social media links provided are for reference only.  FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

 

Last Updated: 
July 19, 2012 - 23:02
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top