Main Content

Boone, Calhoun, And Shelby Counties Added To Iowa Disaster Declaration

Main Content
Release date: 
October 15, 2010
Release Number: 

WEST DES MOINES, Iowa -- Federal disaster assistance is now being made available to Boone, Calhoun, and Shelby County residents affected by the severe storms, flooding, and tornadoes of June 1 through Aug. 31, 2010, announced the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Iowa Homeland Security and Emergency Management Division (HSEMD).

Homeowners, renters, and businesses are now eligible for assistance. These three counties were added to the disaster declaration following new damage assessments requested by the state and conducted recently by local officials, representatives of HSEMD, and FEMA.

"A top priority for residents who may be eligible for Individual Assistance is to register with FEMA," said State Coordinating Officer Patrick J. Hall, with Iowa HSEMD.

The deadline to register for assistance is Nov. 12, 2010.

If an individual or business owner in Boone, Calhoun, or Shelby County has already applied for assistance and received a letter of ineligibility, their application will automatically be reconsidered. Those who have registered should have received a nine-digit disaster registration number from their first registration, which they should provide when checking on the status of their registration.

Individual Assistance may include grants to help pay for temporary housing needs, essential home repairs and other disaster-related expenses. U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) low interest, federal disaster loans are available to homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes, and private non-profit organizations. They cover costs of repair or replacement of damaged real estate, personal property and business assets not fully covered by insurance or other aid. For small businesses, Economic Injury Disaster Loans (EIDLs) are available to cover working capital needs caused by the disaster. 

In all, 38 counties are currently eligible for federal disaster assistance. They are: Appanoose, Black Hawk, Boone, Calhoun, Cherokee, Clayton, Decatur, Delaware, Dubuque, Fayette, Franklin, Hamilton, Howard, Humboldt, Ida, Jackson, Jasper, Jones, Kossuth, Lee, Lucas, Lyon, Mahaska, Marion, Monroe, O’Brien, Osceola, Polk, Ringgold, Shelby, Sioux, Story, Taylor, Union, Wapello, Warren, Webster, and Wright.

To Register for Assistance

To register for assistance, call FEMA's toll-free number, 800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY 800-462-7585 for the speech- and hearing-impaired between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m., seven days a week, before Nov. 12. Multilingual operators are available. Residents also may register online anytime at

When registering, individuals will need current address and contact information, address of the damaged property, Social Security numbers, household composition, insurance and income information.

U.S. Small Business Administration

The U.S. Small Business Administration offers disaster loans up to $200,000 to homeowners to repair or replace their damaged or destroyed primary residence. Homeowners and renters are eligible for up to $40,000 to repair or replace damaged or destroyed personal property.

Businesses of any size and private non-profit organizations may borrow up to $2 million to repair or replace damaged or destroyed real estate, machinery and equipment, inventory, and other business assets. SBA can also lend additional funds to help homeowners and business owners with the cost of making improvements that protect, prevent, or minimize the same type of disaster damage from occurring in the future.

For information about SBA’s disaster loan programs, applicants may call 800- 659-2955 or online at For TTY call 800-977-8339.

You may access disaster informatio...

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top