Main Content

FEMA Assistance Climbs Past $28 Million

Main Content
Release date: 
October 7, 2010
Release Number: 

PHILADELPHIA, Pa.  -- The catastrophic winter storms that inundated Virginia in December and February left the Commonwealth blanketed with record and near record snow amounts.  The result was two presidential disaster declarations which, as of September 30, has resulted in federal grants from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) totaling $28,459,094.47

The declarations opened the door for FEMA assistance through the Stafford Act, which is providing recovery assistance to eligible state and local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations in the 56 affected jurisdictions.

"These funds provide financial relief to the impacted communities, especially during these challenging financial times," said Federal Coordinating Officer Regis Phelan, "They are critical in helping to restore funds spent responding to the snow disasters."

The breakdown of the FEMA assistance is as follows:
Debris Removal                                  $   2,147,453.60
Protective Measures                             $24,699,510.65
Roads & Bridges                                  $      77,947.39
Public Buildings                                    $     335,854.03
Public Utilities                                      $     753,827.88
Recreational and Others                       $       33,091.42
Administrative Costs                            $      411,409.50

                        TOTAL                       $28,459,094.47

Localities designated include the counties of Albemarle, Alleghany, Amherst, Appomattox, Arlington, Augusta, Bath, Bedford, Botetourt, Buchanan, Buckingham, Caroline, Clarke, Craig, Culpeper, Dickenson, Essex, Fairfax, Fauquier, Fluvanna, Frederick, Grayson, Greene, Hanover, Highland, King George, Loudoun, Louisa, Madison, Montgomery, Nelson, Orange, Page, Prince William, Rappahannock, Rockbridge, Russell, Scott, Shenandoah, Spotsylvania, Stafford, Tazewell and Warren, and the Independent Cities of Alexandria, Buena Vista, Charlottesville,  Fairfax, Falls Church, Fredericksburg, Manassas, Manassas Park, Norton, Staunton, Waynesboro, and Winchester.

FEMA's Public Assistance program is available to eligible states and local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations on a cost-sharing basis.  FEMA pays 75 percent of the eligible project costs.   The remaining 25 percent is paid with non-federal funds from the state and localities.  Additiona...

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: