DENTON, Texas -- It's National Preparedness Month - a month-long initiative sponsored by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Ready Campaign and Citizen Corps.
FEMA and the New Mexico Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management (DHSEM) are joining together to remind everyone to Be Prepared!
"One important step to take to prepare for unexpected emergencies is to buy flood insurance from the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)," said FEMA Federal Coordinating Officer Sandy Coachman.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Flooding is the #1 natural disaster in the U.S.
- Floods and flash floods happen in all 50 states
- Everyone lives in a flood zone
- You are eligible to purchase flood insurance as long as your community participates in the NFIP
"Now is the time to prepare by making sure your family, neighborhood and community are ready for emergencies and disasters of all types," added John W. Wheeler, Cabinet Secretary for DHSEM.
- Make a family emergency plan
- Put together an emergency supply kit
- Work as a team to keep everyone safe
For more information on flood insurance, visit www.floodsmart.gov or call 1-888-379-9531.
FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.