Montgomery County Department Of Public Works Receives More Than $2.6 Million In FEMA Public Assistance Funds

Main Content
Release date: 
September 28, 2010
Release Number: 
1875-012

REISTERSTOWN -- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced today the approval of $2,666,198.06 in federal funds to the Montgomery County Department of Public Works (DPW).  This represents costs associated with the December 2009 severe winter storms.

Montgomery County’s expenses were a result of their snow removal efforts during the December winter storm.  These emergency protective measures included snow removal on county-maintained roadways, costs for force-account labor and equipment, contractor services, materials for salt, as well as costs for employees on duty during the storms.

The grant represents a 75 percent federal share of the project costs, which totaled $3,554,930.75.  The remaining 25 percent is paid with non-federal funds determined by the state.  Additional funding for the program continues to be obligated as FEMA processes project worksheets for approved costs associated with the December winter storm.  To-date, more than $21 million has been obligated to applicants affected by the December disaster, including this most recent obligation for DPW.

Federal funding is available to the state, eligible local governments, and certain private nonprofit organizations on a cost-sharing basis. FEMA is responsible for managing the program, approving grants, and providing technical assistance to the state and applicants.  The state educates potential applicants, works with FEMA to manage the program, and is responsible for implementing and monitoring the grants awarded under the program.  Local officials are responsible for identifying damage, providing information necessary for FEMA to approve grants, and managing each project funded under the program.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top