FEMA Provides More Than $6.2 Million In Public Assistance Funds To The Virginia Department Of Transportation (Vdot)

Main Content
Release date: 
September 23, 2010
Release Number: 
1874-010

PHILADELPHIA, Pa. -- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced today the approval of $6,280,483.39 in federal funds to the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) for costs associated with debris removal, emergency protective measures, and state maintained infrastructure from the 2009 severe winter storms. To date, more than $21 million has been obligated to Virginia applicants affected by the December disaster.

Expenses incurred by VDOT include costs for labor, materials, fees and equipment, as well as for cleaning up the widespread heavy deposits of timber and woody debris along roads within Buchanan, Dickerson, Lee, Russell, Scott and Wise Counties in VDOT’s Bristol District; snow removal efforts including labor, equipment, contractor services, materials for salt, as well as meals for employees on duty during their 48 hour reimbursement period in both Fairfax and Prince William Counties.

The grant, plus administrative costs, represents a 75 percent federal share of the project costs, which total $8,373,977.84.  The remaining 25 percent is paid with non-federal funds determined by the state.  Additional funding for the program will be obligated as FEMA continues to process project worksheets for approved costs associated with the December winter storms.

Federal funding is available to the Commonwealth and eligible local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations on a cost-sharing basis. FEMA is responsible for managing the program, approving grants, and providing technical assistance to the Commonwealth and applicants.  The Commonwealth educates potential applicants, works with FEMA to manage the program, and is responsible for implementing and monitoring the grants awarded under the program.  Local officials are responsible for identifying damage, providing information necessary for FEMA to approve grants, and managing the project funded under the program.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top