FEMA Provides More Than $4.8 Million In Public Assistance Funds To Baltimore County

Main Content
Release date: 
September 23, 2010
Release Number: 
1875-011

REISTERSTOWN, Md. -- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced today the approval of $4,866,281.79 in federal funds to Baltimore County for costs associated with the December 2009 and February 2010 severe winter storms. To-date, more than $30 million has been obligated to Maryland applicants affected by the two snow disasters.

Baltimore County’s expenses include reimbursement for their snow removal efforts on county maintained roadways.  In addition, labor and equipment, materials for salt, costs for employees on duty as well as contractor services, were used to provide these emergency protective measures.

The grant represents a 75 percent federal share of the project costs, which totaled $6,488,445.72. The remaining 25 percent is paid with non-federal funds determined by the state.  Additional funding will be obligated as FEMA continues to process project worksheets for approved costs associated with the December and February winter storms.

Federal funding is available to the state, eligible local governments, and certain private nonprofit organizations on a cost-sharing basis. FEMA is responsible for managing the program, approving grants, and providing technical assistance to the state and applicants.  The state educates potential applicants, works with FEMA to manage the program, and is responsible for implementing and monitoring the grants awarded under the program.  Local officials are responsible for identifying damage, providing information necessary for FEMA to approve grants, and managing each project funded under the program.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top