FEMA Provides More Than $2.3 Million In Public Assistance Funds To The Dc Department Of Transportation

Main Content
Release date: 
September 23, 2010
Release Number: 
1882-005

REISTERSTOWN, Md. -- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced today the approval of $2,364,361.42 in federal grant funds to the DC Department of Transportation (DCDOT).   This amount represents costs associated with their December 2009 and February 2010 severe winter storm damages.  To-date more than $5 million  has been obligated to the District for the two snow events.

Expenses incurred by DCDOT consisted of costs for emergency protective measures for snow removal including plowing and hauling of snow, as well as treatment of deicers along the department’s maintained roadways.  In addition, labor costs, equipment, materials and contractor services were also utilized during the two reimbursement periods in December and February.

The grants, plus administrative costs, represent a 75 percent federal share of the project costs, which totaled $3,152,481.89.  The remaining 25 percent is paid with non-federal funds determined by the District.  Additional funding for the program is being obligated as FEMA continues to process project worksheets for approved costs associated with the two winter storms.

Federal funding is available to the district, eligible local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations on a cost-sharing basis. FEMA is responsible for managing the program, approving grants, and providing technical assistance to the District and applicants.  The district educates potential applicants, works with FEMA to manage the program, and is responsible for implementing and monitoring the grants awarded under the program.  Local officials are responsible for identifying damage, providing information necessary for FEMA to approve grants, and managing the project funded under the program.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.   

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top