FEMA, TEMA Launch Public Assistance Process In Tennessee

Main Content
Release date: 
September 17, 2010
Release Number: 
1937-001

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and Tennessee Emergency Management Agency (TEMA) are working with the state and local governments and certain non-profit organizations in 10 Tennessee counties to begin the application process for federal reimbursement of eligible response and recovery costs associated with the August flooding.

“We’re working with the state to start the process for public assistance applicants to submit their requests for federal funding,” said Federal Coordinating Officer Gracia Szczcech. “Our goal is to assist them in getting the grant money needed to restore infrastructure back to pre-disaster condition.”

FEMA assigns public assistance officers to work with eligible government and non-profit entities to help guide them through the application process.

For approved projects, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the cost. The state and applicant are responsible for the remaining 25 percent.

Projects may include debris removal, emergency services and repair or replacement of damaged public roads, bridges, utilities and facilities.

Qualified private non-profit organizations may also receive assistance to restore certain kinds of facilities. These include educational, utility, emergency, medical, custodial care and other essential services.

Clay, Cocke, Hardin, Jackson, Macon, Overton, Pickett, Putnam, Smith, and Wayne counties are now approved for Federal Public Assistance under the Tennessee disaster declaration signed by President Barack Obama on Sept. 15.

Follow the recovery in Tennessee online at http://twitter.com/t_e_m_a, http://twitter.com/fema, http://www.facebook.com/TNDisasterInfo, www.youtube.com/fema and http://www.flickr.com/photos/t_e_m_a.

The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA and TEMA do not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top