Local Resources Key To Individual Recovery Effort

Main Content
Release date: 
September 10, 2010
Release Number: 

WEST DES MOINES, Iowa -- Individuals and families recovering from the severe storms and flooding that occurred between June 1 and August 31, 2010, have access to a number of local and state resources that will help them get back on their feet.

Iowans experiencing emotional and financial stress are urged to call Iowa State University Extension’s Iowa Concern Hotline at (800)447-1985.

In addition to counseling services, the hotline also offers other services, including:

  • Referrals to state and local agencies that provide disaster-related services, such as the ISU Extension crop specialists, and 
  • Important contacts for insurance questions and legal concerns

The Iowa Concerns Hotline is available 24 hours a day. All calls are free and confidential.

Disaster recovery officials urge survivors to contact their local insurance agent about filing a claim as soon as possible. There is no substitute for adequate insurance and filing a claim is an important first step towards recovery.

Damage due to flooding is not covered under a homeowner’s policy. Survivors who have a separate policy through the National Flood Insurance Program will have to file a separate claim. For information, go to www.floodsmart.gov, or call 1-800-427-4661.

The Iowa Homeland Security and Emergency Management Division’s Web site, www.iowahomelandsecurity.org, offers important information for flood survivors, including links to national, state and community resources.

Additional websites of interest to Iowans affected by the severe storms and flooding include:

  • The Iowa Dept. of Human Services at www.dhs.state.ia.us/ , click the “Storm Help” link.
  • The “Ticket to Hope” counseling program for flood survivors through the Iowa Concern. Hotline at www.tickettohope.org.
  • The Iowa Insurance Division, at www.iid.state.ia.us/.
  • For farmers with damage from summer storms, the federal Farm Service Agency and state FSA offices, at www.fsa.usda.gov.

Information on the federal government’s role in the recovery and the types of disaster assistance that might be available to individuals and homeowners is available at www.fema.gov.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status.  If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-758.

The U. S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is the federal government’s primary source of money for the long-term repair and rebuilding of disaster-damaged private property.  SBA helps homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes, and private, nonprofit organizations fund repairs or rebuilding efforts, and cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property.  These disaster loans cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or other recoveries and do not duplicate benefits of other agencies or organizations. For...

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top