FEMA Awards Evergreen State College Over $1 Million For Seismic Retrofits

Main Content
Release date: 
September 8, 2010
Release Number: 
R10-10-035

SEATTLE, Wash. -- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has obligated $1,092,347 in Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funding to the state of Washington for seismic retrofitting of the Evergreen State College’s Dormitory Residence Hall A. 

The dormitory houses 173 students during the school year, as well as the college’s Residential and Dining Services administration. During summer months, Resident Hall A is host to conference participants and summer programs.

According to FEMA Regional Administrator Ken Murphy, the seismic retrofit project will bring the facility up to current seismic code.  “At ten stories, Residence Hall A is the tallest building on campus,” said Murphy.  “This seismic reinforcement will enhance occupant safety in the event of a moderate-to-strong earthquake.”

It’s very satisfying when projects of this nature get funded,” said Jim Mullen, director of the Washington Emergency Management Division (WEMD).  “We are number two among the states in earthquake risk, and this work is one more step toward enhancing life safety for our citizens.”

FEMA is contributing 75 percent of the $1,456,463 total project cost, while WEMD, which administers the program in Washington State, is providing the remaining 25 percent. The HMGP provides funding for cost-effective projects designed to prevent damage and injuries in future disasters.  

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 19, 2012 - 23:02
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top