LAREDO, Texas -- The Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) is accepting applications for Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) as a result of the Presidential Disaster Declaration (FEMA 1931-DR) for workers who lost their jobs and self-employed individuals who have been unable to work due to Hurricane Alex starting June 30, 2010. Continued rain and flooding after Hurricane Alex have resulted in disaster unemployment assistance for workers in Cameron, Hidalgo, Jim Hogg, Maverick, Starr, Val Verde, Webb and Zapata counties. Workers can apply for benefits online, and applications for DUA must be submitted by Tuesday, Sept. 7, 2010.
DUA is available to individuals who:
- Have applied for and used all regular unemployment benefits from any state, or do not qualify for unemployment benefits;
- Worked or were self-employed or were scheduled to begin work or self-employment in the disaster area;
- Can no longer work or perform services because of physical damage or destruction to the place of employment as a direct result of the disaster;
- Establish that the work or self-employment they can no longer perform was their primary source of income;
- Cannot perform work or self-employment because of an injury as a direct result of the disaster; or
- Became the breadwinner or major support of a household because of the death of the head of household.
Individuals affected by Hurricane Alex should apply for benefits by logging onto ui.texasworkforce.org or by calling a TWC Tele-Center Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Central Standard Time at 1-800-939-6631. Individuals should specify that their applications are related to Hurricane Alex. Applications filed after September 7, 2010 will be considered untimely, unless the individual provides good cause for applying after the deadline.
Individuals will need their Social Security numbers, copies of their most recent federal income tax forms or check stubs, or documentation to support they were working or self-employed when the disaster occurred.
Applicants must mail in or fax all required documentation within 21 days from the date of the DUA application. Send mailed documentation to: Texas Workforce Commission, UI Support Services Department, Attn: DUA, 101 E. 15th St., Room 354, Austin, TX 78778-0001, or fax it to (512) 936-3250.
FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.