Main Content

Individual And Public Assistance?Both Important To The Recovery Process

Release date: 
August 20, 2010
Release Number: 

WEST DES MOINES, Iowa -- The Iowa Homeland Security and Emergency Management Division (HSEMD) and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) have disaster assistance programs that may help residents and communities recover from the recent severe storms, tornados and flooding in Iowa.

Individual Assistance

The Individuals and Households Program (IHP) can assist those affected by the recent storms in Iowa by providing financial assistance for housing or other needs. The program is available to all people who qualify regardless of race, sex, religion, color or national origin. FEMA’s IHP is available to both homeowners and renters. 

The IHP has two provisions; Housing Assistance and Other Needs Assistance.

Housing Assistance can provide funding for:

  • Referrals for rental housing
  • Financial assistance to rent a different place to live
  • Repairs to make the home safe, sanitary and functional
  • Replacement - financial assistance to replace destroyed homes

Other Needs Assistance may include funding for:

  • Medical, dental and funeral expenses
  • Essential personal property such as furniture, clothing and some appliances
  • Repair or replacement of damaged vehicles
  • Other disaster-related expenses

Individual assistance can also be in the form of federal low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) for homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes, and private non-profit organizations.

Homeowners may borrow up to $200,000 to repair or replace their primary residence. Renters and homeowners may borrow up to $40,000 to replace personal property.  Up to $2 million may be borrowed by businesses for any combination of property damage or economic injury. The SBA also offers working capital loans to small businesses and most private, non-profit organizations of all sizes having difficulty meeting obligations as a result of the disaster.

For information on SBA disaster loans, call (800) 659-2955 or visit ­ Hearing- or speech-impared individuals may call (800) 877-8339.

How To Register:

Register online or by telephone as soon as possible. Anyone who had damage or loss may register online anytime at, or call the toll-free Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) registration line at 800-621-FEMA (3362) or (TTY) 800-462-7585 for the hearing- or speech-impaired. Hours are from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., local time, seven days a week, until further notice. Multilingual operators are available. Access additional disaster information and recovery resources directly from your Smartphone at FEMA’s new mobile website at

Public Assistance

Under the Public Assistance Grant Program, FEMA awards grants to assist state and local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations with the response to and recovery from disasters. The program provides funding for debris removal, implementation of emergency protective measures and permanent restoration of infrastructure. The program also encourages protection from future damage by providing assistance for hazard mitigation measures during the recovery process. The program runs on a cost share with FEMA and the applicant who may be the state or local governments.

Public assistance is based on a partnership between FEMA, state and local officials. FEMA is responsible for managing the program, approving grants and providing technical ...

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: