Nearly $68 Million In FEMA Assistance Awarded For Oklahoma's Recovery From Winter Storms

Main Content
Release date: 
August 17, 2010
Release Number: 
1876.1883-010

OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. -- Nearly $68 million in federal grants has been obligated to help the state of Oklahoma and its communities recover from the December blizzard and January ice storm, officials with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management (OEM) said Tuesday.

Included in the total is nearly $36 million to help reimburse eight Oklahoma electric cooperatives and associations for repairs to infrastructure damaged during the ice storm. 

"FEMA continues to respond to the needs of our state and local partners as we work together to ensure Oklahoma's long-term recovery from these storms," said Federal Coordinating Officer Gregory W. Eaton.

The latest awards include:

  • Two grants totaling $9,045,871 to Caddo Electric Cooperative for repairs to the electric distribution system affecting Blaine, Caddo, Canadian, Comanche, Grady, Kiowa and Washita counties.
  • Three grants totaling $8,669,474 to Cotton Electric Cooperative for repairs to the electric distribution system affecting Caddo, Carter, Comanche, Cotton, Grady, Jefferson, Stephens and Tillman counties.
  • A $7,360,984 grant to Harmon Electric Association for repairs to its distribution system in Beckham, Greer, Harmon, Jackson and Kiowa counties.
  • A $3,299,844 grant to Southwest Rural Electric Association for repairs to its power distribution system serving customers in the designated counties of Comanche, Greer, Jackson, Kiowa and Tillman.
  • A $2,394,156 grant to Rural Electric Cooperative for repairs to its electric distribution system serving customers in Comanche, Garvin, Grady, McClain and Stephens counties.
  • A $2,153,107 grant to Kiwash Electric Cooperative for repairs to its power distribution system in the cooperative's service area, including Custer, Dewey, Kiowa and Washita counties.
  • A $1,580,463 grant to the Oklahoma Electric Cooperative for repairs to the power system affecting Caddo, Canadian, Cleveland, Grady, McClain and Pottawatomie counties.
  • A $1,287,890 grant to the Western Farmers Electric Cooperative for repairs to its distribution system affecting supplies to six Oklahoma cooperatives distributing electricity to customers in Caddo, Comanche, Garvin, Grady, Greer, Harmon, Jackson, Kiowa and Stephens counties.    

"FEMA is providing vital support to these important Oklahoma electricity providers and to other state agencies, and local and tribal governments affected by the storms," said State Coordinating Officer Fred W. Liebe of the OEM.

The total award, obligated under FEMA's Public Assistance Grant Program, includes more than $8.4 million to help reimburse applicants for their costs to clean up downed power poles, trees and other debris created by the storms.

Also included is $14.1 million for emergency measures taken by applicants to protect lives and property before, during and after the storms. About $9.5 million has been obligated for other repairs to infrastructure, including roads and bridges, utilities, public buildings, and parks and recreational facilities.

Once FEMA reimburses the state it becomes the state's responsibility to manage the funds, which includes making disbursements to the local governments and other jurisdictions that incurred costs. FEMA pays 75 percent of eligible costs, while the state and each applicant split the remaining 25 percent.

For more information on Oklahoma disaster recovery, click www.fema.gov/Oklahoma or visit the OEM site at www.oem.ok.gov...

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top