Insurance And Local Resources Key To Individual Recovery Effort

Main Content
Release date: 
July 27, 2010
Release Number: 

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Individuals and families recovering from the severe storms, flooding and tornadoes that began June 1 have access to a number of local and state resources that will help them get back on their feet.

Nebraskans who need immediate help are urged to call United Way’s 211. This is a referral service for citizens who need help and for volunteers who want to donate their time or equipment to local governments as a way of assisting in the recovery effort.

The 211 service provides information on health and human services 24-hours-a-day, seven days a week. Residents who live outside of the counties covered by the service or are using a cell phone may call  402-444-6666.

Disaster recovery officials urge survivors to contact their local insurance agent about filing a claim as soon as possible. There is no substitute for adequate insurance and filing a claim is an important first step towards recovery.

Damage due to flooding is not covered under a homeowner’s policy.  Survivors who have a separate policy through the National Flood Insurance Program will have to file a separate claim. For information, go to or call 1-800-427-4661.

The Nebraska Emergency Management Agency’s Web site, offers important information for flood survivors, including links to resources from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the Center for Disease Control, Department of Health and Human Services and other agencies.

There are several Web sites that provide information specifically helpful to the state’s farmers and ranchers: These include:

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top