Public Assistance Authorized For 53 Nebraska Counties

Main Content
Release date: 
July 23, 2010
Release Number: 
1924-001

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Federal Public Assistance disaster funds are now available to help local, county and state governments, as well as Tribal Nations, in 53 counties rebuild public property damaged by the recent severe storms, tornadoes and floods that have affected Nebraska since June 1.

Antelope, Arthur, Blaine, Boone, Boyd, Brown, Burt, Cass, Chase, Cherry, Cheyenne, Colfax, Cuming, Custer, Dodge, Douglas, Frontier, Garden, Garfield, Greeley, Harlan, Hayes, Holt, Howard, Keya Paha, Knox, Lincoln, Logan, Loup, Madison, McPherson, Morrill, Nance, Nemaha, Nuckolls, Otoe, Perkins, Phelps, Pierce, Platte, Richardson, Rock, Sarpy, Saunders, Sherman, Sioux, Stanton, Thomas, Valley, Washington, Wayne, Webster and Wheeler counties are now approved for Federal Public Assistance under a declaration approved by President Barack Obama for the state of Nebraska.

Local, state and federal teams have been inspecting disaster-related damage and examining emergency expenses identified by state and local representatives.  Preliminary Damage Assessments estimated the scope of repair work needed and restoration costs.

For approved projects, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) will pay 75 percent of the cost.  The State of Nebraska and the local organization applying for funding of a specific project will cost-share the remaining 25 percent.

Projects may include debris removal, emergency-services and repair or replacement of damaged roads and bridges.  Also addressed are schools, libraries and other public buildings, water control facilities, public utilities and recreational facilities.

Qualified private non-profit organizations also may receive assistance to restore certain kinds of facilities.  These include educational, utility, emergency, medical, custodial care and others that provide essential governmental services.

All counties in the State of Nebraska are eligible to apply for assistance under the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top