Main Content

Replacing Records Part Of Alabama Storm Recovery

Main Content
Release date: 
May 24, 2010
Release Number: 

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. -- Replacing important records scattered or damaged during the late April spring storms and tornadoes that struck three Alabama counties is an important step in recovery.

The local, state and federal offices that assist with replacing documents and records are among the wide range of resources available for those recovering from the flooding. Key among those resources is the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-FEMA (3362), TTY 800-462-7585 or online at

Disaster loan applications with the U.S. Small Business Administration can be submitted while waiting to replace lost documents. SBA specialists will help you complete the application even if records are damaged or missing.

While the list of damaged documents varies from person to person, here is a quick guide to replacing lost records:

Insurance: Ask your agent for copies of your policies, recent billing statements and cash-value statements.

Financial Records: Contact your bank, credit union, credit card company, brokerage firm and credit bureau for copies of account statements, loan applications, credit reports and other records.

Social Security Card: Find the nearest Social Security Administration office by calling

800-772-1213 (TTY 800-325-0778) or going online at You will need to show identification such as driver’s license, state-issued identification card or U.S. passport.

Birth/Death/Marriage Certificate: The Alabama Center for Health Statistics maintains birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Copies are available at the local health department or by writing:

Alabama Vital Records
P.O. Box 5625
Montgomery, AL 36103-5625

More information on Alabama Vital Records is available online at

Driver’s License: A lost Alabama driver’s license can be replaced by going to your county Probate Judge or License Commissioner Office with acceptable identification such as a certified birth certificate.

Savings Bonds: If your savings bonds are destroyed, download Form PD F 1048  found at, complete and mail to:

Bureau of the Public Debt
P.O. Box 7012
Parkersburg, WV 26106-7012

Federal Tax Returns: You have two options for getting copies of your federal tax return information. You can call 800-829-1040, or order transcripts by mail using IRS Form 4506T – Request for Transcript of Tax Return – found at

State Tax Returns: Copies of state income tax returns can be requested by submitting Alabama Form 4506A—Request for a Copy of Tax Form or Individual Income Tax Account Information—available online at

Motor Vehicle Title: You may apply for a replacement title with the Alabama Department of Revenue. An online application for replacement title can be found at

An emergency preparedness kit should include copies of important documents such as your driver’s license, Social Security card, insurance policies, family birth certificates and tax records. Store the documents in a plastic bag with a tight seal or in a water-proof container. You should also keep a copy of such records in a bank safe-depos...

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: