Deadline For Public Assistance Requests Extended

Main Content
Release date: 
May 6, 2010
Release Number: 

WARWICK, R.I. -- The deadline for filing Requests for Public Assistance with FEMA to rebuild Rhode Island’s public infrastructure damaged during the March flooding has been extended to May, 10, 2010.

The Request for Public Assistance is the official first step for public and private nonprofit organizations to apply for federal disaster assistance. State, tribal nations, local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations in Rhode Island are eligible to apply for federal assistance for debris removal, emergency services related to the disaster, and repairing or replacing damaged public facilities, such as roads, buildings and utilities.

Public Assistance was made available to all five counties in the presidential declaration authorized by President Obama on March 29, 2010.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status.  If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.

 The Small Business Administration (SBA) is the federal government’s primary source of money for the   long-term rebuilding of disaster-damaged private property.  SBA helps homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes, and private, nonprofit organizations fund repairs or rebuilding efforts, and cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property.  These disaster loans cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or other recoveries and do not duplicate benefits of other agencies or organizations. For information about SBA programs, applicants may call (800) 659-2955 (TTY 1-800-977-8339).

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top