When the Inspector Comes to Your Damaged Property

Main Content
Release date: 
April 13, 2010
Release Number: 

WARWICK, R.I. -- If you have registered with FEMA because your home was damaged by the severe storms and flooding that began on March 12, the next step in the process is to have your home inspected. Here’s what to expect:

A FEMA-contract inspector will contact you to schedule an appointment to inspect your home. When the inspector calls, be sure to give clear, accurate directions to the damaged property and a current phone number where you can be reached. A street address is needed. Post office boxes do not show locations. Also, be sure you provide FEMA a current phone number where you can be reached, such as a cell phone, a hotel phone or the number of a relative. If you can’t be reached, you can’t be helped!

Damage inspection is part of the recovery process. FEMA-contract inspectors are required to carry identification. When the inspector comes to your home, ask to see identification. 

You should be prepared to provide written proof of ownership, such as a tax receipt, deed, mortgage payment book, or home insurance policy with the damaged property’s address. Having the necessary documentation can help speed up the inspection process.

Whether you are an owner or a renter, you must show that the damaged property was your primary residence at the time of the disaster. Inspectors will accept a valid driver’s license or current utility bill (such as an electric, gas or water bill) as proof of occupancy.

The inspection is free.  It generally takes about 30 minutes and consists of inspecting damaged areas of your home and review of your records. The inspector enters information into an electronic device that sends the information to FEMA. This speeds up the process of providing assistance. The inspector does not determine whether you are eligible for assistance.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top