April 7 Deadline To File for FEMA/Cal EMA Public Assistance Grants

Main Content
Release date: 
April 5, 2010
Release Number: 
1884-005

Pasadena, Calif. -- April 7 is the deadline for California state and local agencies, tribal nations and certain private nonprofit agencies, that may be eligible for federal and state disaster assistance, to submit Request for Public Assistance (RPA) forms to the California Emergency Management Agency (Cal EMA).

The form asks for general information which identifies the applicant and is one of the first steps in the Public Assistance (PA) grant process.

The PA funds are available to eligible applicants as part of the federal disaster declaration of March 8, 2010 for the severe winter storms, flooding, debris and mud flows that occurred January 17 through February 6, 2010 in Calaveras, Imperial, Los Angeles, Riverside, San Bernardino and Siskiyou counties. Initial damage estimates approach $50 million for those counties.

The primary goal of the Public Assistance program administered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and Cal EMA is to provide reimbursement for eligible expenses for emergency response as well as the repair and replacement of damaged public facilities.

Under the PA program, FEMA reimburses successful applicants for 75 percent of their eligible expenses, while the remaining 25 percent of costs are the responsibility of the state/local agency or eligible nonprofit organization. In California, Cal EMA pays 75% of the non federal share of eligible costs incurred by city and county agencies and special districts with local agencies picking up the remaining 25%.

State agencies, private nonprofits and tribal nations are responsible for the entire non federal share. The federal portion is paid directly to the state, which then makes disbursements to the local jurisdictions and organizations.

Under current law, applicants must submit RPAs to Cal EMA within 30 days of the federal major disaster declaration. For forms and more information on the Public Assistance program and a local contact person call Cal EMA at 626-431-3290.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: