Multiple Federal Agencies In Arkansas For Disaster Response

Main Content
Release date: 
December 18, 2009
Release Number: 

NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Multiple federal agencies and departments are here to help Arkansas recover from damages incurred during the severe storms and flooding last October. As a result of the federal disaster declaration, Arkansas became eligible to receive restoration funding in the form of loans and grants.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), through its Public Assistance program, will provide up to 75 percent in federal funds for the repair and restoration of damaged Arkansas roads, bridges and other eligible categories. The remaining 25 percent is shared by the state and local governments. For information, contact the Arkansas Division of Emergency Management Recovery Branch, 501-683-6700.

In addition, other federal agencies including the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), which includes Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS), Farm Service Agency (FSA) and USDA Rural Development, have made additional low interest loans, grants and programs available to provide more recovery funds for Arkansas individuals and entities.

  • HUD
    • With the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) and HOME programs, the State of Arkansas has the ability to re-allocate existing federal resources toward disaster relief. These programs give the state the flexibility to redirect millions of dollars to address critical needs, including housing and services for flood victims. HUD is currently contacting state and local officials to explore streamlining the Department's CDBG and HOME programs to include the ability to re-allocate funds to meet imminent needs in order to expedite the repair and replacement of damaged housing;
    • Granting immediate foreclosure relief for FHA/HUD guaranteed mortgages;
    • Making mortgage insurance available; and
    • Making insurance available for both mortgages and home rehabilitation. To determine eligibility contact HUD at 425 W. Capitol, Suite 1000, Little Rock, AR, 72201, 501-918-5797.
  • SBA is making available low-interest disaster loans in Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Jefferson, Lonoke, Perry and Saline Counties to victims of the storm which occurred on October 29, 2009. SBA is the federal government’s primary source of money for the long-term rebuilding of disaster-damaged private property. SBA helps homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes, and private, nonprofit organizations fund repairs or rebuilding efforts, and cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property. These disaster loans cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or other recoveries and do not duplicate benefits of other agencies or organizations. For information about SBA programs, applicants may call (800) 659-2955 (TTY 1-800-977-8339).
  • USDA’s NRCS administers the Emergency Watershed Protection (EWP) Program, which responds to emergencies created by natural disasters. The EWP Program relieves hazards to life and property caused by floods, fires, tornado and ice storms. County, City, Conservation District and Improvement Districts are eligible for assistance and serve as sponsor. Public and private landowners are eligible for assistance, but must be represented by a project sponsor such as a city or county. EWP offers 75 percent of the project construction cost. The remaining 25 percent of the cost must come from the project sponsor. For assistance contact your county USDA NRCS Field Service Center.
  • USDA's FSA provides emergency loans to help producers recover from production and physical losses due to drought, flooding, other natural disasters, or quarantine. Emergency loan funds may be used to restore or replace essential property; pay all or part of production costs associated with the disaster year; pay essentia...
Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top