Main Content

Certain Private Nonprofits May Be Eligible For Recovery Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
October 26, 2009
Release Number: 

Pago Pago, American Samoa -- American Samoa and federal officials announced today that private nonprofit facilities that provide essential services of a governmental nature and are open to the general public may be eligible for public assistance.

Applicants for this aid must have a ruling letter from the U.S. Internal Revenue Service or satisfactory evidence from the territory that theirs is a nonprofit organization doing business under territory law. However, certain types of  facilities are not required to be open to the general public if they meet the definition of an educational, utility, emergency, medical, or custodial care facility.

Some facilities that provide essential governmental services and must be open to the general public are museums, zoos, performing arts facilities, community centers, libraries, homeless shelters, senior citizen centers, and shelter workshops. Eligible health and safety services of a governmental nature include low-income housing, alcohol and drug treatment centers, residences and other facilities offering programs for battered spouses, animal control facilities directly related to public health and safety, facilities offering food programs for the needy; daycare centers for children, and daycare centers for individuals with special needs.

Critical services that may be provided by private nonprofits include power, water, sewer, wastewater treatment, communications, education, emergency medical care, fire department, emergency rescue, and nursing homes. These may apply immediately for Federal Emergency MnFEMA emergency and permanent work disaster assistance.

Certain private non-profit organizations that do not provide critical services of a governmental nature may be eligible to apply for low interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA). These non-critical facilities should apply for a low interest disaster loan from the SBA by visiting the agency’s customer service representatives at the Lee Auditorium Disaster Recovery Center. This should be done simultaneously with submitting a Request for Public Assistance (RPA) to the Territory for disaster assistance.

Prospective applicants should call the American Samoa Disaster Recovery Office at  699-1329 in Pago Pago and request an RPA form, fill it out and return it to that office before the October 29 close of business deadline.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: