FEMA Reimburses State Of Colorado For Wildfire Costs

Main Content
Release date: 
September 16, 2009
Release Number: 
R8-09--007

DENVER - The U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has obligated more than $1 million to reimburse the Colorado State Forest Service, for costs associated with fighting the New Castle Fire.

The federal funding is provided through FEMA's Fire Management Assistance Grant Program, which reimburses state and local agencies for wildfire suppression costs when a fire threatens to cause a major disaster. FEMA approved the State of Colorado's request for a Fire Management Assistance Grant for the New Castle Fire on June 19, 2007. The New Castle Fire burned more than 2,480 acres in Garfield County.

Following fire suppression activities, state and local agencies tally and submit proof of their costs to FEMA for reimbursement. Funding is provided on a cost-share basis, with FEMA paying 75 percent of the costs. State and/or local agencies are responsible for providing the remaining 25 percent. The overall cost for this project is $1,345,935.80 with FEMA paying $1,009,451.85.

Fire Management Assistance Grants are provided through the President's Disaster Relief Fund. Items that are eligible for reimbursement can include expenses for field camps; equipment use, repair and replacement; mobilization and demobilization activities; and tools, materials and supplies.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders and to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

 

Last Updated: 
July 19, 2012 - 23:02
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top