Minnesota Flood Recovery Update: Public Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
August 14, 2009
Release Number: 

MOORHEAD, Minn. -- To date, nearly $12 million in Public Assistance (PA) grants has been approved for 28 Minnesota counties affected by spring floods. Additional grant applications are being processed.

Public Assistance grants, available through the Federal Emergency Management Agency, provide reimbursement for debris removal, emergency protective measures, and the repair, replacement, or restoration of disaster-damaged, publicly owned facilities like roads, bridges, water control facilities, public buildings and equipment, utilities, and parks and recreational facilities. Certain private organizations that provide an essential governmental service may be eligible as well. The PA program also provides for certain hazard mitigation measures to protect facilities from future disasters.

"FEMA, State and local officials have worked together to get these funds dispersed as efficiently as possible," said Federal Coordinating Officer Michael H. Smith.

Eligible PA applicants receive 75 percent of their allowable costs for their projects, from the federal government. The remaining 25 percent of costs are picked up by the state. To date, 2,168 sub grant applications are being processed for reimbursement. FEMA anticipates obligating over $20 million when wrapping up operations in Minnesota at the end of the month.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capacity to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top