OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. -- Nearly $1.9 million has been approved in disaster assistance to Oklahomans affected by wildfires, state and federal emergency managers announced today.
Recovery summary as of close of business July 13, 2009:
- 228 individuals have registered for Individual Assistance in disaster declared Carter, Cleveland, Grady, Lincoln, McClain, Murray, Oklahoma, Payne and Stephens counties.
- $1,486,000 in housing assistance grants has been approved for basic housing needs including emergency home repair and temporary housing.
- $108,000 has been approved for other needs disaster-related assistance such as transportation, medical and dental expenses, funeral expenses moving and storage fees, and replacement or repair of personal property.
- $292,000 in U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) disaster assistance loans has been approved for homeowners, renters and business owners.
- 149 inspections have been completed of homes damaged by wildfires.
- 193 residents have visited Disaster Recovery Centers
Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management (OEM), Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and Small Business Administration officials urge residents to apply for assistance before the August 17 deadline. FEMA toll-free registration lines are open daily from 6 a.m. to midnight at 800-621-FEMA (3362) or (TTY) 800-462-7585. Applicants also may register online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov.
Disaster Recovery Centers will remain open in Midwest City and Ratliff City through Saturday, July 18 to provide information on available disaster assistance and to assist residents with applications. The centers are located at Eastside Church of Christ, 916 Douglas Blvd. in Midwest City and at Ratliff City Baptist Church, 234 Church Street in Ratliff City. Hours of operation are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Both Disaster Recovery Centers will transition to SBA Disaster Loan Outreach Centers beginning Monday, July 20 with hours from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday until further notice. SBA staff at the loan centers will assist homeowners, renters and business owners with applications for low-interest disaster loans and will be able to answer questions about SBA disaster loan programs.
Residents and business owners also can receive more information about SBA disaster loans by calling 800-659-2955 or (TTY) 800-877-8339. SBA information also is available online at www.sba.gov/services/disasterassistance.
Residents needing assistance or having questions about state and federal disaster aid programs can continue to call the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362 seven days a week from 6 a.m. to midnight even after Disaster Recovery Centers have closed.
FEMA leads and supports the nation in a risk-based, comprehensive emergency management system of preparedness, protection, response, recovery, and mitigation, to reduce the loss of life and property and protect the nation from all hazards including natural disasters, acts of terrorism, and other man-made disasters.