Disaster Officials Announce Applicant Briefings For Public Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
July 9, 2009
Release Number: 
1848-001

WICHITA, Kan. -- The Kansas Division of Emergency Management (KDEM) and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) today announced a series of public assistance (PA) applicant briefings to help those affected by recent severe weather events apply for federal disaster recovery assistance.

These meetings are open to representatives of local, county and state governments as well as qualified private non-profit (PNP) organizations who suffered damage from the severe winter storm and record snow during the period of March 26-29, 2009,(FEMA-DR-1848-KS), including Barber, Barton, Butler, Chase, Chautauqua, Clark, Coffey, Comanche, Cowley, Dickinson, Edwards, Elk, Grant, Greenwood, Harvey, Haskell, Kearney, Kingman, Kiowa, Lyon, Marion, McPherson, Meade, Pratt, Reno, Rice, Seward, Stafford, Stanton, Stevens, Sumner, and Woodson counties. The deadline to submit a Request for Public Assistance (RPA) for this disaster is July 24, 2009.

In addition, qualified agencies from Anderson, Barber, Bourbon, Butler, Chase, Cherokee, Coffey, Cowley, Crawford, Elk, Finney, Greenwood, Harper, Harvey, Kingman, Labette, Linn, Lyon, Marion, Marshall, Montgomery, Morris, Neosho, Reno, Rice, Sumner, Wabaunsee, and Wilson counties who have damages from the severe storms, flooding, straight-line winds, and tornadoes during the period of April 25 to May 16, 2009, (FEMA-DR-1849-KS), may also attend. The deadline to submit a Request for Public Assistance (RPA) for this disaster is July 25, 2009.

These meetings are not for individuals or business owners with damages from these storms.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency's PA program provides federal funds to reimburse 75 percent of the costs for removing debris, conducting emergency activities and repairing levees, roads, bridges, utility and water control facilities, public buildings, and parks. The State of Kansas and/or the applying agency will cover the remaining 25 percent.

"It's important that applicants submit their Request for Public Assistance (RPA) documentation before the deadlines in order to be eligible for disaster funding," said State Coordinating Officer Randy Mettner. “Applicant briefings are important to clarify eligibility issues, address insurance requirements, and explain Federal procurement standards.”

Eligible PA applicants may attend any of the following briefings: (Other counties may be added later)

Anderson County
July 16, 2009
1:00 P.M.
County Annex Building
406 S. Oak
Garnett, KS

Bourbon County
July 20, 2009
1:00 P.M.
Ft. Scott Jr. College Cafeteria 
21085 Horton
Ft. Scott, KS

Chase County
July 14, 2009
2:00 P.M.
County Health Department
201 Walnut St.
Cottonwood Falls, KS

Coffey County
July 16, 2009
10:00 A.M.
110 S. 6th St.
Burlington, KS

Comanche County
July 10, 2009
1:30 P.M.
City Building
Coldwater, KS

Crawford County
July 14, 2009
1:00 P.M.
Sheriff’s Department
225 N. Enterprise
Girard, KS

Harvey County
July 14, 2009
10:30 A.M.
800 N. Main St.
Newton, KS

Kingman County
July 09, 2009
8:00 A.M.
Activity Center
121 S. Main
Kingman, KS

Labette County
July 15, 2009
1:00 P.M.
County Courthouse
US 54 & 160
Oswego, KS

Linn County...

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top