JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. -- Missourians affected by severe storms, flooding and tornadoes May 8 - 16 can request free legal assistance by calling 1-800-829-4128.
The toll-free hot line is operated by the Missouri Bar Young Lawyers Section. A message including name, phone number and address can be left at any time.
Flood-related legal needs include:
- assistance with life, medical and property insurance claims;
- help with home repair contracts and contractors;
- replacement of wills and other legal documents destroyed in the disaster;
- counseling on mortgage-foreclosure problems; and
- counseling on landlord/tenant problems.
Any work performed through the bar association cannot result in any monies for either side.
The service is organized by the Federal and State Emergency Management Agencies (FEMA and SEMA) and The Missouri Bar to assist residents of Adair, Barry, Barton, Bollinger, Cape Girardeau, Christian, Dade, Dallas, Dent, Douglas, Greene, Howell, Iron, Jasper, Jefferson, Laclede, Lawrence, Madison, Newton, Ozark, Polk, Reynolds, Ripley, St. Francois, Shannon, Texas, Washington and Webster.
FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.