FEMA Awards $7.5 Million for Improvements to Westminster Channel

Main Content
Release date: 
July 6, 2009
Release Number: 
R9-09-018

OAKLAND, Calif. -- The U. S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) today awarded the state of California a $7.5 million grant under          its Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP).

The HMGP funds will help improve the flood control efficiency of more than a half mile of the Westminster Channel located 100 feet downstream of Hoover Street to Beach Boulevard in the City of Westminster.  

"Hazard mitigation projects protect communities from disruption and are the foundation of disaster prevention efforts," said FEMA Region IX Administrator Nancy Ward. "The goal is to reduce injuries and post-disaster costs at all levels of government."

The channel modification consists of removing portions of the existing channel and replacing it with pre-cast, reinforced concrete boxes.  The project will also require constructing a 1,000 feet, rectangle concrete section in place of the existing channel.

 "When completed, this project will reduce the flood risk to many citizens in Westminster," Ward said.  "This project will change the local floodplain which could result in eliminating the mandatory flood insurance purchase requirements for some residents of Westminster."

The total cost of the Westminster Channel project is $13,100,975.  FEMA is providing 57 percent of the funding.  The City of Westminster is providing the remaining 43 percent of the funding.

FEMA's HMGP provides grants to states, local governments and Native American tribes for long-term hazard mitigation projects that reduce the loss of life and property. 

FEMA leads and supports the nation in a risk-based, comprehensive emergency management system of preparedness, protection, response, recovery, and mitigation, to reduce the loss of life and property and protect the nation from all hazards including natural disasters, acts of terrorism, and other man-made disasters.

Last Updated: 
July 19, 2012 - 23:02
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top