Tornado Disaster Assistance Approaching $6 Million For Five Counties

Main Content
Release date: 
July 1, 2009
Release Number: 
1834-042

LITTLE ROCK, Ark.-- Federal funding for emergency housing, other needs assistance, low interest disaster loans and eligible public assistance now totals $5,725,055. This is assistance approved to date for Arkansas residents in the four Individual Assistance as well as the five Public Assistance counties declared for the storms and tornadoes on April 9, 2009. The application period closed on June 26.

Below is the funding for individual assistance approved for homeowners and renters in Ashley, Miller, Polk and Sevier counties through FEMA's Individuals and Households Program:

County Registrations Housing Grants Other Need Grants Combined assistance

Ashley

  71

     $      73,672

       $     2,700

           $       76,372

Miller

  51

     $      67,105

       $   15,941

           $       83,046

Polk

776

     $    844,638

       $ 216,674

           $  1,061,312

Sevier

  46

     $    355,050

       $   27,975

           $     383,025

TOTALS

 

944

$ 1,340,465

       $ 263,290

           $  1,603,755

FEMA has provided 27 Temporary Housing Units (THUs) in Polk County and three THUs in Sevier County.

Low interest disaster loans made by SBA to homeowners, renters and business owners total $2,012,400.

Ashley, Howard, Miller, Polk and Sevier counties, declared eligible for Public Assistance, are presently approved for $2,182,400 in obligated federal funding for losses and damages to infrastructure by the storms and for emergency protective measures undertaken by the counties. FEMA provides 75 per cent of the total funding; the state and the applicant are responsible for the remaining 25 per cent.

Although the application period is past, The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the Arkansas Department of Emergency Management (ADEM) and the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) will continue to review submitted applications and disburse monies for eligible costs.

FEMA leads and supports the nation in a risk-based, comprehensive emergency management system of preparedness, protection, response, recovery, and mitigation, to reduce the loss of life and property and protect the nation from all hazards including natur...

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: